Making an Audio Slideshow

Making an audio slideshow for the first time was a challenging task. I met opstacles early on in the term. Originally, I had chosen to feature the UO Costume Shop for my term long project. However, after realizing the people who worked at the costume shop like to be backstage and not front and center with the spotlight on them, I switched my focus to the UO Urban Farm.

So with a gracious extension to the audio slideshow project due to the fact that I switched topics, I set out to take some photos at the Urban Farm. Photography isn’t my strongest suit, f-stops and aperture are foreign words to me. Luckily the camera I borrowed from the J school was great, and the sun that day was perfect for taking photos.

Nerves boiled up as I walked up to the farm director, Harper Keeler. I spoke with him briefly and reminded him of why I was there taking photos and he said that it was fine for me to walk around anywhere I’d like to snap some shote. And that is what I did.

It was hard for me to feel comfortable going around taking photos of people. It was akward and I didn’t want them to be weirded out by the fact that I was taking their photo. Needless to say, I started out taking photos of the plants. But slowly, I gained confidence and started taking photos of groups working together, then shots of individuals as well.

After a couple hours, a full SD card, and low battery, I headed back to download the photos and check out my loot. The photos were great and I was excited to get started putting the audio slideshow together.

Next came writing the script. It flowed naturally after spending time walking around the farm and talking to students. At the suggestion of one of my classmates, I recorded the audio using my apple headphones with the volume control/speaker, using Garage Band to capture the sound through my headphones which were plugged into my computer. Within a few takes I had satisfactory audio, however it was very awkward to hear a recording of my own voice.

With the audio recorded, I had a clear understanding of the different sections of the peice. I sorted through the photos and color-coded them so it was easy to go back and place them in their given sections. Then I decided to step it up a notch and added the Ken Burns Effect to the images.

What I didn’t realize is that zooming in on the photos like that caused complications when adding captions. I finished the video and exported, only to find that several of the captions were cut off. It took me quite a while to finagle the captions into the right place so that they wouldn’t be cut off, but in the end, I made it work.

Watching the exported video I was satisfied with my work, and even a little surprised that I was able to both take the photos, and narrate (both things I hadn’t done before) and it turned out nicely. Three cheers for trying new things!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s