My video didn’t turn out how I had envisioned. My first mistake was that I didn’t have a plan of what my story was going to be when I went there to film. I wanted to do a sort of day-in-the-life of one of the dogs there because nobody really thinks about what the animals at the shelter go through. However, Suzi wasn’t too thrilled about me doing a doggie profile so when I went there I ended up speaking with a few of the volunteers and decided to make my video about volunteering at the shelter.
I didn’t capture very interesting footage of the volunteers. I hung out in one of the yards with a volunteer named Kristen, and watched her throw a ball for Huggs for about 20 minutes. I also walked with a volunteer named Julie while she walked Bella. The shots I got were extremely repetitive and I couldn’t have a dog chasing a ball or being walked be the whole video.
I did my best to find images that fit what I was talking about in the video, which leads me to my next problem: audio. I couldn’t capture very great audio because I was outside the whole time. I decided to do a voice-over for my video using the information the volunteers gave me.
During the part where I was explaining how to become a volunteer, I wanted a video of my computer screen as I was going through the steps. I made one on my laptop, but it wouldn’t work on the macs at school. I had to use still screenshots instead.
Some of my shots were pretty blown out because it was such a bright day outside. I white-balanced the camera as best as I could, but it didn’t get rid of the brightness.
Even though I had some issues capturing footage, putting it all together, and trying to make it flow, I ended up with an OK video. I don’t think it was horrible, but I don’t think it’s the best either. Live and learn I guess!